Legacies & Wills
Your legacy gift to Action Cancer
Action Cancer is a local charity providing its services only in Northern Ireland. Uniquely, Action Cancer is the only charity in Europe that provides free mammograms to help detect early stage breast cancer in women. Action Cancer raises and spends all of its money in Northern Ireland. With no public sector financial support the charity is required to raise approximately 300,000 every month, an extremely big ask and challenge and only achievable because of the immense generosity and goodwill of the local public.
Thank you so much for considering leaving in your Will a gift to Action Cancer, Northern Ireland’s leading local cancer charity.
What your gift could achieve
Leaving a gift to Action Cancer is one of the most long term and valuable ways of supporting our work. More and more people are finding that, after they have ensured family and friends are taken care of, leaving a gift to Action Cancer is a wonderful way of making a positive impact on the lives of many local people affected by cancer both now and in the future. Your gift, no matter how small, will greatly assist Action Cancer to continue to deliver its life saving and supporting services including:
- The provision of free mammograms to detect early stage breast cancer
- A range of therapeutic supports, including Counselling, Coaching, Support Groups, Peer Mentoring, Complementary Therapies and Pain Relief interventions
- Health checks for both men and women
- Research and support into genetic related cancers
- Information and advice on cancer, health and general wellbeing
- Education and Prevention Programmes
- Awareness and campaigning on cancer related issues
How to leave us a gift in your Will
Leaving a legacy gift is an important decision and one that much thought should be given to, it doesn’t however have to be complicated. Here are some of the basics:
- State in your Will that you would like to leave a gift to Action Cancer. We recommend using a solicitor or professional will-writer to make sure your Will is legal and valid.
- Include our full name and Address, to make sure the money goes to the right place: Action Cancer, 20 Windsor Avenue, Belfast, BT9 6EE. Inland Revenue Charity Number NIC 104170.
- If you would like your gift to be used for a specific purpose or in a specific location, you can add this in to your Will.
- If you have already written us into your Will, we’re very grateful and would love it if you could let us know.
What types of gift can you leave?
We receive many different types of gift in people’s Wills, and we’re so grateful for every single one. Here are a few types of gift you can leave us:
- A share of your estate. After you’ve provided for your family and friends, you can leave a share, or the remainder, of your estate to us. This is called a ‘residuary gift’.
- Cash gift. This is when you leave an exact sum of money to us. It’s known as a ‘pecuniary gift’.
- A specific gift. Perhaps property or jewellery.
- A gift in trust. You can leave a gift for someone to use over a period of time. When the time has ended, the gift can be passed on to other recipients, such as Action Cancer. We would strongly recommend always asking a solicitor about gifts in trusts, life interests and conditional gifts. It is important to word these gifts very carefully to make sure your wishes are reflected and your loved ones are taken care of as you intend.
What about Inheritance Tax?
Leaving a gift to a charity can reduce your Inheritance Tax Bill and in certain circumstances reduce the rate of Inheritance Tax payable.
Your beneficiaries will only have to pay Inheritance Tax if your estate is over a certain value. If they do have to pay it, 40% will be deducted from the portion of your estate that’s over the threshold. The threshold can change, so keep up-to-date with the current rules so your loved ones don’t pay more Inheritance Tax than they need to. You can make gifts in the terms of your Will which may help to minimise your estate’s Inheritance Tax liability. These include gifts between spouses and gifts to charities.
If you have any questions or would like any advice about inheritance tax, please talk to your legal advisor.
- Currently paid to the Government at a rate of 40% on any part of your estate over £325,000 for a single nil rate band and up to £650,000 for estates with the benefit of a Transferable nil rate band (as at time of writing)
- Most gifts left to Action Cancer are exempt from this tax because we’re a charity
- In April 2012, the government introduced a change to Inheritance Tax legislation meaning in some situations, anyone leaving 10% or more of their taxable estate to charity like Action Cancer may qualify for a reduced rate of Inheritance Tax.
You can find more information on Inheritance Tax on the HMRC website: www.hmrc.gov.uk/inheritancetax.
You can make a difference
Action Cancer relies 100% on the generosity of the Northern Ireland public to fund its life saving and support services. Every penny received by the charity is spent in Northern Ireland for the people of Northern Ireland.
When you leave a gift in your Will to Action Cancer you can be assured that it will be well spent in helping local people now and in the future generations affected by cancer.
If you would like to organise your will through the Action Your Will Campaign, please visit our Fundraising Campaigns page by clicking here.